Submission of abstracts closed on 4 July 2016.
Guidelines for oral presenters
Download the guidelines for oral presentations (PDF)
Guidelines for poster presenters
Download the guidelines for poster presentations (PDF)
- Submission guidelines
- Submitting your abstract
- Apply for a scholarship
Format and eligibility
Abstracts must be submitted in English and should not exceed 300 words. Abstracts must not have been published or submitted for presentation to any other national or international meeting.
Abstracts should follow the format:
Abstracts should be plain text and not contain tables or graphs or other images.
Abstracts must be submitted via the online system by 4 July 2016. Only abstracts submitted online by the deadline will be considered. Detailed instructions are available in the online submission system. For questions regarding abstracts, please contact the EDCTP Forum Team (email@example.com).
All submitted abstracts will be reviewed by external experts and final decisions on acceptance will be made by the Forum Programme Committee. Selection of abstracts will be based on the following criteria:
- Abstract quality
- Research results
- Relevance to EDCTP and to the theme of the Forum.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of the review by mid-August 2016.
Please note that the final decision on whether the abstract is accepted for a poster or oral presentation will be made by EDCTP.
Presenting authors whose abstracts have been accepted will receive further instructions for presenting their abstract.
Accepted abstracts will be published in the EDCTP Forum programme booklet and may be summarised in the EDCTP Forum Proceedings. EDCTP intends to publish a selection of abstracts as a supplement to a journal. Submission of an abstract constitutes agreement to its publication.
EDCTP offers a limited number of scholarships to early career investigators and scientists actively working in the field of EDCTP to attend the 2016 Forum. These scholarships aim to facilitate participation of those who might not otherwise be able to attend. Selected recipients will be presenting authors of oral or poster presentations.
Applications for scholarships must be submitted in parallel with the abstract submission. Only scholarship applications and abstracts submitted online by the deadline of 4 July 2016 will be considered. Multiple applications are not permitted.
Scholarship applications must include the following information (to be uploaded as three attachments during the online submission):
- An up-to-date CV and concise summary of the applicant’s career to date
- A motivation letter addressing the following topics:
- Future career plans and how attendance at the Forum will assist in developing the applicant’s career;
- Benefit of attendance to the applicant’s colleagues, institution and wider community;
- In their letter, applicants must provide information on previous scholarship applications to EDCTP to attend the Forum and details of alternative sources of funding available to support the applicant’s attendance;
- A reference letter from a senior member of the applicant’s employing institution. In a one page letter of support, the referee should outline:
- The relevance of the EDCTP Forum attendance to the applicant’s career development;
- The benefit of attendance to the applicant, his/her colleagues and institution.
The signed, scanned reference must be submitted on the institution headed paper.
Selection of scholarship recipients will be based on the following criteria:
- Abstract quality
- Research results
- Relevance to EDCTP and to the theme of the Forum
- Potential benefit of attendance to the applicant, his/her colleagues, institution and wider community
- Relevance of Forum attendance to the applicant’s career development
- Geography and gender, in order to maximise participation across sub-Saharan Africa at the Forum and to ensure gender balance
Priority will be given to applicants who have few alternative sources of funding, applicants who have not previously received an EDCTP scholarship to attend the Forum, as well as EDCTP grantees who have new results to present (not previously presented elsewhere).
Scholarship recipients will be notified by mid-August 2016. The scholarship will cover, as far as necessary, economy travel (airfares and transfers), visas, accommodation, and meeting registration fees. The EDCTP Travel and Events Department will make arrangements for travel and accommodation.
Scholarship-holders’ feedback form
A feedback form must be submitted to EDCTP within two months of the Forum attendance. The report may be published on the EDCTP website. Failure to attend the Forum and/or failure to submit the feedback form within this time-frame will result in the scholarship-holder having to reimburse the full value of the scholarship to EDCTP.