EDCTP and CAAST-Net Plus: Building Bridges
Opportunities and challenges for greater involvement of private sector in health research cooperation
Date and time Wednesday 2 July 2014, 08:00-09:30
Place Hall I B-C
To ensure sustainable health research cooperation on poverty related and neglected infectious diseases (PRNIDs) in Europe and sub-Saharan Africa during the second EDCTP programme and beyond, collaboration between the main health research actors, including both the private and public sector, should be strengthened.
- Identify concrete possibilities of closer collaboration between pharmaceutical companies, small and medium enterprises (SMEs), product development partnerships (PDPs), EDCTP and other funders
- Understand the opportunities and barriers for greater involvement of the private sector, in particular pharmaceutical companies and SMEs, in European and African health research cooperation
- Discuss the role of the private sector in the fight against PRNIDs
- Discuss future collaboration with and participation of SMEs in collaborative research projects
- Highlight opportunities for public entities in Europe and sub-Saharan Africa to partner with pharmaceutical companies and SMEs.
The objectives of the session will be achieved through a panel discussion.
Ole Olesen, EDCTP and Mmboneni Muofhe, DST South Africa
- François Bompart, European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA)
- Lluís Ballell-Pages, GSK Tres Cantos
- Claudia Schacht, Fit for Health 2.0
- Jude Aidam, West African Health Organisation
- John Mugabe, University of Pretoria
- Jennifer Dent, BIO Ventures for Global Health
- Philippe Leissner, bioMérieux
- Gift Mphefu, Med-TechEngineers